Running Club starts on Wednesday, Sept. 16th
Meet by the middle school blacktop at 8am each Wednesday.
What is Running Club?
Students walk or run laps each Wednesday morning before school. For each mile run, students earn small charms. Each student will be given a beaded necklace chain to hold the charms. Running Club is free, and no pre-registration is required. Running Club is proudly sponsored by the Joe Michell PTO.
Check the Running Club twitter feed for updates on weather, charm distribution, and other related information at twitter.com/jmrunningclub.
How and when will my child get her/his charms?
Charms are given out every two weeks. Individually labeled ziplock bags containing charms are given to teachers on every 2nd Thursday to distribute to Running Club participants in their class. If a child has completed at least 8 laps, she/he will earn a charm. If your child hasn't received her/his charm bag by the following Monday afternoon, please contact the Running Club coordinator.
Please encourage your child to return the ziplock bag so that we can reuse it. If a child returns the bag, she/he will earn a bonus lap.
Everyone loves the Running Club
|For Students||It's fun|
|For Yard Duty||It channels kids' energy|
|For Teachers||It gets students ready to learn|
|For Parents||It's getting their child physically fit|
How does running club work?
- Parent volunteers set up a running loop on the blacktop.
- As students complete one lap, he/she receives a "running club stick" from a parent volunteer. This helps the volunteers keep tabs on how many laps students complete.
- The student completes as many laps as possible during the allotted time.
- The parent volunteer will let the students know when their running time is done, to get all of their laps recorded before the bell rings.
- Eight laps equal approximately one mile and one small foot.
- Those who complete 10 miles can trade in 10 small feet for one big foot.
- Joe Michell Running Club will even give feet for participating in local sponsored runnings events. Students just need to bring in their event bibs and inform the volunteer how many miles they completed.
Some students will not complete the mile at one go - that is ok!!!
Some students will choose to walk - that is ok too!!! The important point is they are out there participating and moving.
- Students run for approximately 15-20 minutes depending on the number of students running on that particular more and the number of parent volunteers available to log completed laps.
- Morning running club begins at 8am on the blacktop.
- Currently running club is every Wednesday.
- Parents are WELCOME to stay and participate with their children or become a wonderful volunteer and help log laps as the children complete their running.
- Siblings may run, but only if a parent is present and the parent deems it safe for them to run. Siblings will not receive "feet charms", but are welcome to keep count.
- In the event of inclement weather, please check https://twitter.com/jmrunningclub to see if Running Club is cancelled. We will cancel if there is heavy rain.
- The Running Club coordinator can be contacted at email@example.com.